The
Anglican Parish of
Bombay-Pokeno.
Contact Donations
Home Tidings & Newsletters About Us Weddings, Baptisms & Funerals Services Links
Worshiping Centres
We have two main worshiping centres using the beautiful, historic churches of St Peter in the Forest at Bombay and St Mary-on-the-Hill, Pokeno. Regular Sunday worship is held at these two centres. Monthly services are held at Kaiaua, and quarterly services at St Jude’s, Mercer. Refer to the link ‘services’ for the monthly schedule of services and to the link ‘contact us’ for location maps. Funerals
We are happy to assist with funeral arrangements. It is important to work in with the funeral directors and the clergy of the parish. See the link ‘weddings, baptisms and funerals’ for further details. Prayer chain
Our prayer chain seeks to provide prayerful support for those who are ill or in need of prayer. The prayer mission is confidential to the prayer chain. If you would like to take advantage of our prayer chain please phone 09 236 0870. Parish Choir
For special occasions, like Christmas and Easter the choir supports our worship We welcome new comers to the choir. If you are interested please phone 09 236 0870 or email: Our History The church is notable for the many generous benefactors it has had ranging from a beautiful brass lectern and carved altar frontal to stained glass windows, including the fine East Window given by the Misses Wright, from Broughton, England in 1906. The window was made by Mssrs Heaton, Butler and Bell of London and the design is the Ascension of our Saviour. The inscription Lo I am with you always, even unto the end of the world is taken from Matthew chapter 28 verse 20. About Us
The Anglican Parish of Bombay Pokeno serves a wide geographical area, to include Bombay, Pokeno and south to Mercer and across to Kaiaua. Our parish has been the centre of Anglican worship in the district since 1867. As an active worshipping community the parish seeks to provide: Worship - Mission - Education - Outreach - Care - Fellowship All are welcome to join us at any of our services. If you would like further information please phone 09 236 0870 or email

Sunday School
We have an active Sunday School on the first and second Sunday of the month at St Peter’s and St Mary’s respectively, held in conjunction with our family services. New families are always welcome to join us. For further information refer to ‘contacts’ link. Baptism and Confirmation
We welcome new members to the church by baptism. Refer to the separate link ‘weddings, baptisms and funerals’ for further information. Confirmations are arranged from time to time as candidates require. Weddings
St Mary’s and St Peter’s are popular churches for weddings and we welcome couples to take advantage of our beautiful historic church settings for their weddings. Refer to the separate link ‘weddings, baptisms and funerals’ for wedding arrangements.
St Peter in the Forest
The church of St Peter in the Forest is situated at 150 Bombay Road, Bombay, 50 kilometres south of Auckland City and close to the northern boundary of the Bombay-Pokeno parish. In early 1866 Bishop Augustus Selwyn paid a walking visit to Bombay (then known as Williamson’s Clearing) and decided that a place of worship should be built there, halfway between Drury and the Waikato River, in the neighbourhood of the immigrants from the ship Bombay who had settled there in 1865. The foundation stone was laid on March 8, 1867 and dedicated in October 1867. It was used then as a meeting place, and a school as well as a spiritual centre. Although built in the Selwyn era the building does not have the traditional Selwyn architectural appearance as seen around Auckland churches of that time.
admin@bombay-pokeno.org.nz admin@bombay-pokeno.org.nz
St Mary on the Hill Anglican worship has been held in the Pokeno district since the early 1860’s. Initially worship was held at the Queen’s Redoubt where a small wooden church was built. Sadly, this church was destroyed by fire in 1867 and following that services were held in a number of locations, including the local school, a practice that continued for the remainder of the century. As the district grew in population and as more farm land was claimed from the local swamp land the need for a permanent church became apparent. In 1890 Francis William Pyne arrived from England and purchased 700 acres of land in the Pokeno valley. We believe that this was on behalf of his benefactor, Miss Harriet Johnston who arrived about a year later. A large homestead had been built and this became the home of Harriet Johnston until her death in 1916. It was a home she shared with Francis Pyne and his wife and daughter. Harriet Johnston was already a benefactor to the district having paid for the construction of a local hall. In 1899 she offered to fund the construction of an Anglican church and to pay for the stipend of a resident clergyman. The church of St Mary-on-the-Hill as it was to be known was consecrated on 25 March 1901 by Bishop Cowie. It was an imposing building with a tall spire which could be seen for miles around. Its design by architect Edward Bartley, was of Gothic Revival style. The church has a peal of three bells and an impressive stained glass window on the west wall, both being gifts from Harriet Johnston. Anglican worship has continued in the church, apart from a brief period shortly after Miss Johnston’s death when there were disputes over Francis Pyne’s obligations under the terms of her Will, to continue paying the stipend for the minister.
The
Anglican Parish of
Bombay-Pokeno. Website by Antix
Home Tidings & Newsletters About Us Weddings, Baptisms & Funerals Services Contact Links